NORMAN — Cleveland County commissioners appointed Floodplain Board members this week. The Floodplain Board meets as needed.
Five board members were appointed this month, with staggered end terms. Board members are:
· Phillip Miller, of Norman, term to end 1/23/17
· Russell Miller, of Norman, term to end 1/23/15
· Bill Paul of Norman, term to end 1/23/17
· Michael Kelley, of Norman, term to end 1/23/17
· Steve Williams, of Noble, term to end1/23/19
Emergency Manager Dan Cary is also the floodplain manager. Cary is retiring the end of February.
“We have a Floodplain Board that is made up of residents that live in the unincorporated parts of Cleveland County. They are an approving authority for our flood maps and appeals for citizens on floodplain issues,” Cary said. “I issue permits as a flood plain administer and manager.”
Often the Floodplain Board meets if someone appeals a denial by the administrator.
“The county requires, just like the city, that the final finished floor of a structure be at least two feet above the base flood elevation for that location,” Cary said.
Municipalities within Cleveland County have their own floodplain boards.