NORMAN — There is still no definite answer to whether or not Oklahoma safety Tony Jefferson and wide receiver Kenny Stills will return for their senior seasons.
ESPN.com reported Sunday morning that both had decided to enter the NFL draft. Neither Stills or Jefferson responded to attempts for a comment on Sunday. Both have been very active on Twitter over the last two years. Neither have confirmed or denied the report.
An OU source told the Transcript Sunday afternoon that both were still scheduled to meet with OU coach Bob Stoops this week to discuss their decisions.
Neither player is looking at a guaranteed future as professionals. Two NFL sources told the Transcript that Jefferson is viewed as a third-round or later pick. Stills’ stock is currently as a fourth-round or later selection. Those evaluations could rise or fall, depending on workouts prior to the draft in April.
Jefferson said last week that his projection would be a big part of his decision.
“Pretty much now, with the new (salary) cap you have to be smart with your decision,” he said.
Both of the California natives indicated in the days leading up to Friday’s 41-13 loss to Texas A&M in the AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic they hadn’t decided on their futures. Jefferson said earlier this month that Stills’ decision would not affect his.
Jefferson led the Sooners in tackles this season with 119 and was an All-Big 12 selection and was voted a second-team All-American by the Associated Press last month.
Stills is No. 3 on OU’s all-time receptions list with 204. He led the Sooners in catches (82), receiving yards and touchdown catches (11) this season.
Cornerback Aaron Colvin, who was an All-Big 12 selection this season, is exploring his options and has not made a final decision. Fullback Trey Millard said Friday night that he will return for his senior season.
Underclassmen have until Jan. 15 to make themselves eligible for the NFL draft.
John ShinnFollow me @firstname.lastname@example.org