For The Transcript
The Norman Transcript
NORMAN — Ward 1 City Councilman Roger Gallagher has announced he plans to seek re-election to a second term in office.
“I have a strong sense of accomplishment about several issues and/or programs, and I plan to continue working for the betterment of the entire city,” Gallagher said.
“During my first two years, some projects I was directly involved in that were successfully passed are:
· A stronger code of ethics for the mayor and council members.
· Eliminating the role of a city lobbyist and saving the city some $75,000, the money moved to increased street sweeping.
· Holding the line on proper expenditures of the Public Safety Sales Tax that honors the voters’ wishes.
· The new, updated and much larger Norman animal shelter, construction to begin this year.
· An expanded, city-wide, routine code enforcement program.
If reelected, Gallagher said he would work toward:
· Developing a partial traffic loop in east Norman by extending 24th SE as a four lane to Tecumseh, which will also be widened to 24th SE, and a sound wall along Royal Oaks’ houses. No wall is being planned right now.
· Selling off some of the city’s numerous unused, unneeded properties.
· Protecting voter control over water rates. A change in the ordinance is being considered.
· High density housing standards for the entire city that will not ruin Norman’s essential stature as a family-oriented college town.
· Forming a plan for the construction of an East Branch Library at Fire Station No. 9.
“I plan to speak with as many Ward 1 voters that I can reach before the election, and to listen to their suggestions and criticisms,” he said. “My goals are to make Norman an economically-vibrant city and to work on projects that will benefit everyone in the city. If you want to contact me for anything, my phone number is 329-4395 and my email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.”
For local news and more, subscribe to The Norman Transcript Smart Edition, or our print edition.