NORMAN — The deadline for applying for Norman’s Youth Council has been extended to April 5. Youth Council is an advisory body composed of local youth grades sophomore, junior or senior in high school who provides advice and counsel to Norman City Council and its boards and commissions, as well as to other community organizations. The Youth Council also provides youth in Norman an opportunity to learn about local government.
Youth Councils promote civic engagement among youth by:
· Giving them a formal role in local decision making
· Offering real-world experiences with elected and advisory bodies
· Teaching them about the role of City Councils, boards and commissions
· Providing them with an opportunity to develop leadership skills and learn how local government operates
· Increasing communication between youth and adults
· Increasing youth volunteerism
This year the third class of the Youth Council has been very successful. They have received briefings from City of Norman Staff and toured City facilities for a better understanding of City government.
Application requirements would include:
· Applicants must live in a Ward of the City of Norman. A Ward Map is available at www.normanok.gov.
· Applicants must be a high school sophomore, junior or senior in the upcoming academic year.
· Applicants must provide a completed application, including two letters of recommendation from adults who are familiar with their service to the community and/or their leadership skills.
· Terms will be for the school year from September to May with a limit of two terms.
The application deadline has been extended to April 5. For an application or more information regarding Norman’s Youth Council, contact Carol Coles at 366-5404 or email@example.com. To download information regarding the Norman Youth Council and an application, go to www.normanok.gov and click on How do I.